Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Thanksgiving Psalms: Psalm 138

Earlier this month, at our Intergenerational Faith Formation Meal, we talked together about thankfulness, and each household received a sort of Thanksgiving devotional book to take home, with a different Psalm of Thanksgiving to read each day from now til Thanksgiving. For those of you who were unable to attend (or who just do better receiving things digitally!) those Psalms will also be sent out via the blog daily until Thanksgiving. Just a chance for you to stop and offer a prayer of thanks from the scriptures each day, developing deeper gratitude in your own lives. Throughout this Thanksgiving week, take time after praying each Psalm to name at least three things you are thankful for. Try to name three different things each day!

Psalm 138: Thanksgiving and Praise
Of David.

1 I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart;
    before the gods I sing your praise;
2 I bow down toward your holy temple
    and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness;
    for you have exalted your name and your word
    above everything.
3 On the day I called, you answered me,
    you increased my strength of soul.
4 All the kings of the earth shall praise you, O Lord,
    for they have heard the words of your mouth.
5 They shall sing of the ways of the Lord,
    for great is the glory of the Lord.
6 For though the Lord is high, God regards the lowly;
    but the haughty God perceives from far away.
7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
    you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies;
you stretch out your hand,
    and your right hand delivers me.
8 The Lord will fulfill God’s purpose for me;
    your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
    Do not forsake the work of your hands.



No comments: