Thursday, September 28, 2017

World Communion Sunday

This Sunday is World Communion Sunday--a day churches around the world, regardless of their typical practices of celebrating communion, choose intentionally to gather at the Lord's Table with awareness that we do not celebrate this meal in our churches alone, but that it is a meal that connects us to brothers and sisters across the globe, and throughout space.

In preparation for this Sunday, I invite you to do a little reflecting on what communion means to you, and why you choose to participate in it--or choose not to! I came across this tremendous article where diverse Christian leaders reflected on these questions, and commend it to you here: http://www.patheos.com/resources/additional-resources/2010/10/why-i-take-communion.aspx

In response to this article, if I had to name "Why I Take Communion" in 100 words or less, here's what I'd say:

I take communion because sometimes I need physical things to remind me of spiritual things it is harder to grasp or understand. I take communion because I need to look others in the eyes and remind them that Christ is for them, and I need others to look me in the eyes and do the same. I take communion because I need to be reminded that I am part of something so much bigger than myself. I take communion because I need to be nourished for the long journey of seeking to follow Christ through this crazy world. 

What about you? See if you can answer this question in 100 words or less on your own, or in the comment box below.

No comments: