Monday, February 29, 2016

WBTRBW Chapter 29: Your Secret Life

In this week's reading from the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 6:1-21), Jesus encourages us to practice our faith in secret. Jesus speaks of three faith practices that were central in his day: almsgiving (sharing with/caring for the poor), prayer, and fasting. These practices are still significant markers of people of faith today; but what other practices are significant to your faith?

Our first church covenant statement that we adopted last year says, "As a member of Broadneck Baptist Church, I commit myself to growing personally in the ways of Christ. I am committed to pursuing discipleship, continually and intentionally seeking deeper relationship with God, fellow seekers, and the world around me, even when I struggle on the journey." How are you seeking deeper relationship? What are the things that you do as a habit, regularly, in secret to deepen and express your faith? To help you think through this question, I thought I'd link you with some resources this week--some of my favorite websites and materials on spiritual practices. If you're trying to figure out what it means for you to practice your faith, or ways you can grow deeper in Christ, these are websites I would invite you to explore!

Faith Practices is a UCC curriculum I did some writing for--they have some nice activities you could incorporate into your own daily life.

Practicing Our Faith has some wonderful articles as well as links to a great series of books on spiritual practices.

Spirituality and Practice is not exclusively Christian but looks at many practices from various traditions that Christians can use to go deeper in faith.

Explore and enjoy--and if you find something particularly meaningful, share it in the comments below!

No comments: