Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Speaking Christian: Heaven, According to Marcus Borg

As we come to the end of our "Speaking Christian" series today, one final quote from Marcus Borg's book of the same title, this one from his chapter on the word "heaven":

So, is there an afterlife, and if so, what will it be like? I don’t have a clue. But I am confident that the one who has buoyed us up in life will also buoy us up through death. We die into God. What more that means, I do not know. But that is all I need to know.

What would you define or describe as "all you need to know?" Is Borg's conclusion enough for you? Leave your comments below.

And join us for our final Soup-Salad-Supper at 6:30pm tonight to talk about how considering these words has impacted your life over the course of this month--and will do so into the future!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure what ALL I do know but I accept easily the fact that I do NOT know about an afterlife. If there is one, what it will be like, who will experience a good God related afterlife. Those things are far beyond understanding and certainly beyond any possible control I might have over them. They are immaterial to me about how I live my life now. I decided long ago that if the ideas of the Christian faith are inventions that I would prefer to live in accordance with them than to live in any other way. So I don't know much except that.

Anonymous said...

I would agree with the writer above that living the lessons of Christian faith are the values I have found to bear truth in relating to the world and all creation. I guess letting go of fear of dying is a life long leaning into God's Grace and constant acceptance of "I am with you always even to the ends of the earth." I believe God's got heaven figured out for us and I am not anxious. I just need to participate in making the world a reflection of that kind of love.