Friday, June 7, 2013

Sacred Scriptures: Come and Rest


Continuing through the next three Sundays in worship, we will be focusing our time together on the scriptures that people in our congregation named as sacred to them--verses and stories that have shaped them in their faith, that have stuck with them over time.  Because five weeks is not enough time to cover all the stories and passages people named, each day (except Sundays) one passage that was named by some people but that did not make the "Top 5" will be featured here, with an accompanying image and questions for reflection.  May this be a chance for you to re-encounter long-known texts and to discover new ones that are sacred to others and may become sacred to you!


Matthew 11:28-30

28 “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”


  • From what are you weary this day?  What burdens do you carry?
  • What might Jesus be wanting you to come and learn from him?
  • What do you imagine the yoke of Jesus looks like?  Feels like?  Is made of?

No comments: